This solution utilizes third-party freeware solutions which can be used to call existing Crystal Reports via DOS Command Line. This can then be automated by creating a Scheduled Task.
- Download CrystalReportsbyCommandLine_InstallationFiles.zip found in Third Party Tools or from Crystal Reports Command Line Exporter.
- Unzip the file to C:\CrystalReportsExporter\, including:
- SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_1.msi) - freeware.
- Crystal Reports Exporter (crexport.exe), also freeware, which is the called application - it doesn't need to be installed, just located on the machine.
- dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe may need to be installed, depending on the version of .net already installed.
- Install SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_1.msi) in quiet mode with the following command in DOS command line: msiexec /i CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_1.msi /quiet /qn /norestart /log CRRuntimeInstall.log
- If necessary, install the dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe. NOTE: It does not hurt to run this - it will tell you if the necessary version or higher is already installed.
- Create ODBC for Biotics5, as described in step 8 of Configuring your Connection to Biotics 5, but with User Name of biotics_report (rather than biotics_dlink):
- Data Source Name: BIOTICS5 (capitalization should not matter)
- User ID: biotics_report (rather than biotics_dlink).
- Save existing Crystal Reports to C:\CrystalReportsExporter\. Standard Crystal Reports developed by NatureServe as well as any custom Crystal Reports provided to NatureServe for inclusion are included within the cr_template folder in the nightly Biotics 5 backups. The two Biotics Points of Contact for each program have access to the nightly backups. Alternatively, download just the standard reports here.
- Via the command line (or a .bat file), call the report to print to PDF. Following are two examples of command line, one which calls a report for a single EO (EO_ID=3593) and one which calls a report for an EO Working List (3496). The available list of arguments can be found here.
- C:\CrystalReportsExporter\crexport -F C:\CrystalReportsExporter\EO_Dump_by_EOID.rpt -O C:\CrystalReportsExporter\EO_Dump_by_ID.pdf -E pdf -S Biotics5 -D Biotics5 -U biotics_report -P PASSWORD -a "EO_ID:3593" -l
- C:\CrystalReportsExporter\crexport -F C:\CrystalReportsExporter\EO_Dump_by_WLID.rpt -O C:\CrystalReportsExporter\EO_Dump_by_WLID.pdf -E pdf -S Biotics5 -D Biotics5 -U biotics_report -P PASSWORD -a "ELO_WK_LIST_ID:3496" -l
For Further Information: Go to the source Crystal Reports Command Line Exporter for additional information.
See Create/update existing Crystal Reports for use in Biotics 5 for additional information.
Version: Reports from both CR 8.5 and 11 have tested successfully, however the version 11 reports are significantly faster.
Parameters: so far only a single parameter is accepted, either a working list id or a record id. The application sends the ID for the selected working list or record to the report.