Attached zip file updated on 4/28/2023 at 9:48 am
The Observations survey in Survey123 is great for collecting data but because the Map is not interactive, it’s not feasible to identify data such as nearby Source Features or EOs. Field Maps does accommodate interactive use of map layers but is not robust enough to handle the complexity of the Observations survey. Hence, utilizing Field Maps with Survey123 can resolve this problem.
An additional hurdle remains, however. Although Biotics layers can be added to a web map via the Biotics map services, they are not available for offline use. Hence, using the data in Field Maps is useless when offline.
To resolve this, NatureServe has developed a script to automatically download the nightly backups from Kiteworks and publish the Biotics layers within a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online. The hosted feature layer is made available for offline use. Implementing the script as a scheduled task, to run daily, prevents stale data, by updating the data within the “Biotics layers”. The “Biotics layers" feature layer can then be added to a web map with the Observations feature layer and any other relevant spatial data.
To integrate Field Maps with the Observations survey (in Survey123), a web map is created containing the Observations feature layer and newly created “Biotics layers” feature layer. Pop-ups are configured to interact with the Observations survey in Survey123 with the following functionality:
- links to the specific Observation in the Observations survey for viewing
- Source Features: displays data and a link to create a new Observation in the Observations survey, to be added as a Visit to that specific Source Feature record. Static data is automatically populated within the survey response, including:
- Element (element subnational id, scientific name, common name, track status, element type, S rank
- Source feature (source feature id, descriptor, location use class)
- EO ID
- Element Occurrences: displays data and a link to create a new Observation in the Observations survey, to be created as a new Source Feature record for that EO. Static data is automatically populated within the survey response, including:
- Element (element subnational id, scientific name, common name, track status, element type, S rank)
- EO ID