Non-secure map services (http vs. https) elicit a Register Layer Failed error when being added to the map viewer in IE
Clicking Show All Content and then allow it to Leave This Page causes the map viewer to refresh and the user-configured map services load successfully; however, then the Switch Basemap button is non-responsive -- it changes color when hovered over, but nothing happens when clicked.
The Miscellaneous Internet Option, Display Mixed Content, is set to Disabled or Prompt.
- From the Tools menu in IE, select Internet Options.
- Within the Internet Options dialog, on the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click the Sites button.
- Add all web domains generating this error message to the Trusted Sites list, including *.natureserve.org, plus the domain for your specific Biotics 5 instance (i.e. bioticsXX.natureserve.org). WARNING: don't do this with domains you don't trust or are not sure about.
- Close the Trusted sites dialog.
- Back in the Internet Options dialog, still in the Security tab, with the Trusted sites zone selected, click the Custom Level button.
- Within the Security Settings - Trusted Sites Zone dialog, scroll down to the Miscellaneous options (almost half way down), and set the Display mixed content to Enable.
- Click OK to save changes within the Security Settings - Trusted Sites Zone dialog.
- Click OK to save changes within the Internet Options dialog.
- Exit and re-start Internet Explorer.
NOTE: this setting allows IE to display content using both https and http protocols in a mixed environment, and should only be used with trusted web domains. Malicious content from unsecured (http) domains could potentially compromise data from secure (https) domains with which it is mixed.